PG13

Sometimes I get it right. My six year old happily read me a Mercer Mayer Little Critter story this afternoon about a little boy who meets Pirate Captain Short Bob. The story ended with a recipe for pirate soup made up of candy that he hopes I will make for Sunday dinner this week along with some "stone soup". He really enjoyed the book, and in addition to the fact that he was able to read it on his own, it was a story that was totally appropriate for his age level. Opposed to last summers' blockbuster hit pirate movie that is a trailer for every other children's movie we rent and is rated PG13 that I still will not let him watch . My refusal so far is despite his pleas-"but mom, the bird is only pretending to poke the pirates eyes out" and his petulant persistence since all of his friends have already seen it-TWICE-so why can't he!

Can't we save anything for 8 these days? I seem to remember being allowed to watch "grown up movies" with my older sister around second or third grade-covering my eyes for the scary parts and my ears for the swear words as instructed by our mother. I also remember her stepping in front of the television set just to say hello during any kissing scenes (8, remember). Why does my kindergartner need to watch a musical about high school students struggling over where to go to college in order to be on the same entertainment page as the little Joneses next door? I am a realist, we allow much of it. Sometimes it is just not worth it to say no. It's just that other times it seems that he is growing up much too fast. And that yes, some things are worth the battle, even the little annoying ones.

Tonight I said no to Jurassic Park. So once again, even after our little mother-child bonding moment this afternoon, I am still holding as "the worst and meanest mom ever made" if there is anyone jockeying for the title....

Comments

Popular Posts