Patient Zero


I have all these images in my mind of how I will care for my children when they are sick. They will lay in their beds on crisp white sheets with a cool washcloth on their forehead sipping unsweetened chamomile tea while reading picture books quietly to themselves. I will lovingly and patiently tend to them until bedtime when they fall to sleep on their own allowing me time to work and finally wash those pesky empty chamomile tea cups.
I spent much of today standing on a towel in the middle of the parlor while holding a feverish toddler and talking to my pediatrician on the phone. Every few minutes I would lean the baby forward over the towel to vomit. For eight hours. Then there was bus stop pick up and tossing a whiffle ball to my son while his little sister watched from my arms, both of them needing mommy at the same time. Finally my husband arrived home so I could scoop up towels, scrub vomit out of my bra and clothing and take a very long scalding hot shower.
Everyday I am grateful for my family's good health. Every stomach virus and sinus infection is a reminder of how very lucky we are, such easily remedied woes. Even tonight.

Comments

Popular Posts